Sunday, January 18, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Elders...

Two years ago when I scaled down my medical practice to work part time I turned over many of my longtime patients to colleagues. Periodically however, I still see some of my former patients when they're hospitalized since much of the work I do is inpatient rounding on weekends. Today was one of those days. A 92 year old, spunky lady who I'd not seen for some time was on my list; she'd been hospitalized for a week but was clearly much better and actually ready for discharge; all good. I had been her doctor for several years before I left my full time work.

When I introduced myself to her, she looked at me with her piercing blue eyes and a flash of recognition came over her face.

"I remember you, Doctor", she said. And then, "How are your parents doing?"

I was shocked that she recalled that one of the reasons I had to cut back on my work was to care for elderly parents in declining health. Plagued by her own issues with short term memory lapses, she may have been able to pull up this memory of my parents because I'd always told her that they were her same age and that being born in 1917 was "very cool". Frankly, I was touched that she inquired.

"They're doing pretty well", I told her. "They're just old; the same age as you." and I grinned at her.

She laughed and said, " I can't remember if I'm 91 or 92, maybe it's 93. All I know is that getting old is the SHITS!"

I cracked up, laughed out loud, and reached for her hand giving it a good squeeze.

"You make me laugh!", I said.

"I love you, Doctor".

"I love you too."

In some ways you had to be there; it was a grand scene. She was laughing, I was laughing, the woman in the next bed was laughing. Never one to mince words, this not-so-little white haired lady hit the nail on the head. I'm glad she was able to go home today, that her health is better. And, I think she's right; getting old is "the shits".

I told the story to Mom and Dad today. I got a laugh out of both of them and saw a happy tear in my father's eye.

Out of the mouths of our elders....listen closely one and all.

'

3 comments:

  1. My favorite people are the ELDERS and children. I just love their honesty and how they do not play games, no time for it. I volunteered with hospice and that is my greatest joy in life besides my children. Glad things are going well and your daughter sounds like she is doing well in Europe! Hugs Nance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that you shared this special story. And I love it when old people cuss! :) It sounds like your parents have a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That story made me smile. It gives me hope that there are lots of years left for the rest of us, to live and love and laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!