Sunday, September 16, 2012

Blurry Edges


I'm drawn to this photograph for many reasons. Yes, I used  this picture in my last blog post, the provocative, "world turned upside down" soothsayer entry. But, I return today to study the colors, the shapes of the trees, the blurry edges, and the specks of white that dot the scene.  This is a lowly I phone picture taken at the Japanese Garden at Manito Park in Spokane over the Labor Day weekend two weeks ago. I was standing on a wooden bridge that crossed over a serene pool swimming with koi. At once mesmerizing and calming, I felt a slight breeze of cool air in the midst of a very warm day. I looked down into the water and the reflection of the shimmering trees and clouds above looked back at me. The visual experience was, let's say, "nice" at the time and I thought a photo remembrance might be good. I'd been taking I phone pictures all afternoon and this one was just another.

But, when I actually had time to look at this photograph, I connected more deeply.The colors are lovely and muted. The water and sky become one and the reflected trees are upside down, their crispness distorted into  blurred edges.  Reminds me a bit of a 19th century painting by Manet or Monet. There is mystery and magic here.

Perception is not reality and reality is not perception.

I am awash in changing emotions and thoughts. The photograph gives me some comfort right now and this is what I need most.

2 comments:

  1. Can I refer you to Escher's "three worlds" which I instantly thought of, on seeing your picture.
    http://www.artchive.com/artchive/e/escher/escher_3worlds.jpg
    Three worlds: together in sight, but not mixed.

    (I came visiting to borrow your Shakespeare quotation on sleep, from 2009.Google sent me.
    I'm having sleep issues: Asperger's *and* Chronic Fatigue syndrome.
    "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined." )

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!