Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just Breathe....

This morning I am at my parent's apartment watching both Mom and Dad asleep in their chairs, trying to decide what to do about my Mom's changing neurologic status. I have a phone call in to her physician but as a physician myself, I'm analyzing and going over the pros and cons of each possible action. What do I do? What is best for Mom? Are any of these changes reversible or are they signs of natural and inevitable deterioration that come with being age 90 and having had multiple mini-strokes that affect cognitive function? I am trying not to "play doctor". The phone just rang and I spoke to Mom's doctor; "take her into the Emergency Room" is the bottom line. I will do so. This will be our fourth such trip in the last year.

I am reminded of the song by Anna Nalick entitled BREATHE.

we're like cars on a cable
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button girl,
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe, just breathe,
Woah breathe, just breathe

And so I will; breathe, just breathe. It is all I can do for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!