Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Miracle of Imitrex

Migraine headaches have been a part of my life since I was a teenager. The only time I was free of the recurrent, pulsing pain was during pregnancy and then I was plagued by other woes. In midlife, my once or twice a month migraine headache escalated into a three times or more a week event. Aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen, even stronger pain meds never touched the pain; caffeine would occasionally be the cure but basically it was "tough it out" for the requisite 10-12 hours and then as the pain dissipated naturally try to enjoy the natural high that comes when you quit banging your head against the wall.

Then came imitrex which is truly the bomb for migraine pain. It took a lot for me to try the medication; wary of side effects and concerned about "shorting out" my brain held me back but now, it is a staple in the drug armamentarium. Usually within an hour of taking imitrex the pain is gone and I still get that little high of being pain-free; must be those endorphins running around my brain.

Dark chocolate, alcohol, lack of sleep, too much or too little caffeine, stress and other thing bring on the migraines. There is only so much I can do about these triggers. I'm hoping that eventually my migraines will burn out; much like Mom's have over time. This strange internal wiring that increases proclivity to migraine is strongly genetic. There are so many in this family that suffer with them. I guess it could be worse. At least we have silver bullets to treat the pain.

Migraine begone! I just took my imitrex and am waiting patiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!