Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Durrance Vile

I love words; especially the myriad synonyms for some words.

D talked about one of his (long deceased) aunts tonight; an infamous family member with ofttimes scandalous behaviors who talked of intermittent bits of time held down in "durrance vile". Awesome, no?

This marvelous term is otherwise known as the...
clink,
jail,
hoosegow,
lock-up,
bighouse,
slammer,
brig,
can,
cooler,
pokey,
pen,
cage,
hole,
tank,
or the oubliette.

Sorry, I can't help it. This make me laugh (out loud) and right now, that's damn good.

Oh, and also the joint; a synonym that popped into my head when I couldn't sleep last night.

2 comments:

  1. Hahameow...Durrance Vile sounds like the perfect name for a villian in a 'bodice ripper' paperback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another one - "the crowbar hotel."

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!