Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Challenge

Dementia relentlessly casts its evil spell bit by bit until the person that was is no more. I'm left with anger and frustration as paths of least resistance when I'd prefer the paths of love and compassion. Would that I could overcome consistently the urge to lash out at the person who never chose this disease and who suffers mightily. Would that love infuse this kingdom of pain, beating off the woeful beast that destroys a life while nurturing the nuggets of what remain.



View of the collapsed Natural Bridge on Aruba's north coast

4 comments:

  1. This must be one of the most difficult things for a person to face, the gradual loss of someone so dear. May love enter your kingdom and join your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you during this hard time in your life. Just remember I love you and I'm always there for you! When was the natural bridge destroyed and was it the one we saw years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must be excruciating. I am thinking of you.

    I was curious about the Aruba natural bridge also. I remember it from our honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i completely relate. My mother has been suffering for over 14 years with it, and my father, who passed this spring, had a version of it -- both really more due, I think , to mini-strokes from diabetes and hypertension than alz. It is the most taxing on the careGIVER, on the ones whose marbles remain... the ones who have dementia don't know, and therefore, aren't suffering, intellectually at least.

    I don't know what kind of resources you might have (this blog for one and us) to support YOU. It's a long damn road.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!