Monday, January 19, 2009

"At Sixes and Sevens"

The phone rings at 2:50 PM; it's for me.

Me: Hello?

Him: Your Mother is upset and I'm upset. I'm going to pass the phone to her now.
......noise of phone fumbling.....

Her: Hi.

Me: What's up, Mom? What's the matter? Dad says you're upset.

Her: Oh, nothing. I'm OK. Just the same as usual, just another day.

Me: Anything specific? Dad said you were upset.

Her: No, we're just at "sixes and sevens" around here.

Me: Are you having an argument with him?

Her: Yes, sort of.

Me: About what?

Her: I'm not really sure.
(Pause: I'm really thinking hard here......)

Me: Mom, what would you like me to do?

Her: Nothing. There's nothing to do.

Me: What does Dad want me to do?

Her: (asking Dad) What do you want her to do?
(no answer from Dad....)

Me: Well, Mom; give me a call back if you have something you think I can do for you.

Her: OK. Bye.

Click.

I felt angry. I felt sad. I felt helpless.
And it is what it is.

Later, I called back and got more insight into the situation. And later still I drove over for a brief visit and got even more insight. Simply feeling my way in uncharted territory, sandwiched today between Him and Her and their personal frustrations with each other. Yet, I am asked to play a role, to do something, anything to fix the situation. I don't know how to respond but I do the best I can. It's just got to be good enough I tell myself.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds incredibly frustrating. Don't forget to breathe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard the phrase "sixes and sevens" so I followed the link. It's the perfect way to describe that feeling of confusion for no apparent reason. Your story reminds me of when my children were young and wanted me to make something right. They couldn't explain what was wrong and nothing I tried would help. It is enough when we do the best we can. This too shall pass....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes a village...and these days we don't live in villages. Makes it so hard for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!