Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Erin go Braugh


March 17. St. Patrick's Day 2009

My niece's Birthday: Happy Birthday Jeanne!

Also, the Birthday of Mark, a classmate in high school, the young man who walked by my side on Graduation Day 1972. Not so young anymore, I wish you well, wherever you are today.

A year ago today I had my arthroscopic knee surgery, a successful endeavor with a slow, but steady improvement such that I can now get into a deep knee squat and (if stamina will cooperate) run!

Today, my daughter timed her travels perfectly; she's in Dublin and by now has watched the St. Patrick's Day Parade and seen first hand how the Irish celebrate the day.

In our family, we typically celebrate St. Patrick's Day with a huge spread of corned beef, cabbage, boiled potatoes and carrots, brown bread and a couple of traditional desserts ("grasshopper pie" and Irish whiskey pie). Oh, and Guinness Beer, of course. This year we moved the meal forward a few days so that Chris and Heather as well as a couple of Chris's roommates could attend. The meal was fantastic (thanks, Denny) and the pies (my contribution) were great too. Although the guys in particular ate heartily (OMG), there was enough left over to take Mom and Dad each a plate for their Sunday noon lunch the following day. They cleaned their plates; Dad saved his Guinness for a mid afternoon treat.

Erin go Braugh!

4 comments:

  1. I made corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and onions tonight - a once a year treat. I didn't know about this traditional Irish meal until I moved to Maine, where it is the Thursday night special at many local diners, known as "boiled dinner."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, yum!!

    We had our corned beef and cabbage this weekend - there were all kinds of revelers getting started early in Santa Monica on Saturday, wearing green Mardi Gras beads - confusing, I know!!

    But I've posted a toast for today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Green!

    Love corned beef though I only eat it once a year.

    Congrats on the full recovery of your knee...that's huge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed having dinner with you guys! I am sure you had a great time though. It was fun being in Ireland for the festivities.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!