Thursday, October 9, 2008

For my friend "Pate"

This post is dedicated to my girlfriend Pate. Today is her Birthday and what better way (aside from sending her on an all expense paid trip to the spa of her choice) to honor our history than to write about this marvelous woman. Before I wax poetic, you can check out my 54 word post about Pate at my other blog site, Remembering. This x365 blog challenges me to capture the essence of what someone means to me in exactly 54 words (the number of words is dictated by the age of the blogger). Pate is so remarkable that these few words barely skim the surface.

Here's more....

I met Pate in 1985, in Houston, when she joined our medical team as a physician assistant in Nephrology. She is a very smart and capable professional.

We were what I like to call acquaintances for over a year, maybe two; cordial and supportive of each other but not exactly close friends.

I knew our relationship was destined for greatness when, at a party eating Doritos and spicy Pace picante sauce, I dared her to take a cup of hot sauce and drink it. Without dropping a beat she said, "I'll do it if you do it." In an instant, I knew she was my kind of gal. We both drank a cup of picante sauce by the way and there are pictures to prove it. Something like this can really seal the deal in my book.

Since then, despite great distance (she lives in Tampa, about as far as you can get from Seattle) we've shared endless stories, laughs and tears. We've had some pretty big fights too but weathered the storms with grace. We've teased each other mercilessly, pointing out our large and small differences and debating all sorts of issues from the meaning of friendship to religion and politics. We are tolerant of our differences and celebrate the respect we have for each other.

We've watched our children grow from babies into young adults over this time. We've taken trips together, sent snail mail letters, emails, packages, and through it all have managed to avoid the telephone as much as possible (I'm sure to her frustration).

Pate is her last name; she says I'm the only one calls her this but I think the name suits her well. The best part is, she doesn't mind.

I love her like a sister. She makes me laugh. Always. She can poke fun at herself and she's good at apologizing too. She tells stories like a master.

Pate loves a great meal. She likes to drink rum-cokes with a squeeze of lime and will always indulge me when we're together. People everywhere like Pate; she can talk to anyone, including taxi drivers, store clerks, and people on the bus and make them feel comfortable. She has many gifts.

I love her very much. Happy Birthday Pate!

2 comments:

Leave a comment!