Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Wheels Falling off the Bicycle"

I thought this post from the New Old Age blog in today's NY Times was right on. The truth is: when old people succumb they truly die of "old age" otherwise known as "wheels falling off the bicycle". I see this daily in my nonagenarian parents and especially now in my Dad. I take some comfort in knowing that this is nature, the cycle of birth and death, and inevitable.

I'm grieving differently every day. Today I feel a calmness. But as the next days pass and we ready for the trip to Florence, sadness will creep in as I face the unknown and realize that I have absolutely nothing to do with whatever may happen. I must be the witness and the receiver.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting article. With our desire to cure all illness, we forget that sometimes the body just wears out.

    Every experience I have had with grief has been unique. Within each experience, feelings change from day to day. Remember to take care of yourself, too.

    P.S. Your blackberry cobbler is out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting analogy. I know each day is different, but know that we are in this together and we are there for each other. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!