Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Gratitude

There have been no posts since last Friday; this is a long stretch for me. I've been down in the dumps convinced that anything I write will be tainted with my own personal miseries that never seem to have resolution. Frankly, boring....

Today I woke up at 5:30 AM, early for me but I felt alert and rested which is really weird but I won't question something good. No headache either and that's also very good.

My back is likely on the mend and the physical therapist thinks it's the result of poor ergodynamics between me, my chair and computer terminal at work. The work of doctoring has changed so much in the last 3-5 years; we spend inordinate amounts of time gazing at a computer screen, reading small print, scrolling through medical records and documenting our visits with patients on-line. We dictate less and type more. (Pity those who did not take a typing class as I did in high school.) The end result of hours spent over desk top computers takes its toll over time. I'm pleased that this sore back deal is a fixable issue; someone is coming to make an assessment of my work space and "adjust the mechanics". If my back gets better, I'll be a believer.

Today dawns clear and cool in Seattle. I've decided not to distact myself with all the fixed, negatives in my life right now but look at what's right. Indulge me a bit as I recite them; it's therapy and may spring me back into blogging life after a hiccup hiatus from writing.

1. I have a great family; nuclear and extended.
2. My home is my castle; I feel safe and warm and have good places to curl up to rest.
3. D and I are traveling to Florence in a few weeks to visit Laura and I'm excited about the preparations; where we'll go, what we'll see and how we'll use our time there.
4. Mom and Dad are in a safe place.
5. There are good eats everywhere.
6. My cat is cool.
7. The leaves are turning beautiful shades of orange, red, and gold.
8. I can chat by IM with Laura most days and that's nice.
9. I just finished a great book called In the Woods by Tana French (highly recommended, engaging, psychologic murder mystery set in Dublin).
10. No migraine or backache for me today!

6 comments:

  1. I am a mentor to a girl once a week, and at the beginning of each session we tell each other a high point, an accomplishment, and a challenge from the previous week. Not only does remembering the high points and accomplishments improve my mental state (particularly after a long day of work), but recategorizing negatives as "challenges" pulls me out of the doldrums (a place where I am usually feeling sorry for myself!) and gets my brain focused on creative ways to approach those challenges. It's a great exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waking up pain free helps enormously! Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - so glad you are feeling better! I love your list of positives..especially the *cool cat*!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good habit. It invariably helps the day when we can list the people and things for which we are grateful. It lightens life like a double shot Americano. Florence on the way, mom and dad in a good safe place, fall leaves. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news about your back. I often wake up and start the day thinking about what's going right. The mornings I don't usually turn into days I spend time trying to find my footing. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and prayer are with you Kate... I know you have had lots of struggles and hurdles. You are such a strong woman. I pray that list of goodness grows and grows - that the good things take over.

    I love the focus you are striving for. There have been lots of times in my blogging "life" I would not write for the very same reason. I truly understand. But I appreciate and value you honesty in your struggles, and your focus on hope :)

    Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!