Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Nothing Makes a lot of Sense

Trivial thoughts these but somehow they've become an integral facet of my mixed up, formless, and mentally soggy day. I wonder....

1. In this month focused on breast cancer awareness, does a 91 year old woman need a mammogram? The answer is: "it depends". I have little energy to address her request and render a thoughtful opinion. The path of least resistance is to just "go ahead".

2. Does a 91 year old woman who broke a hip a year ago and who has worn flat shoes ever since really do herself a service by wearing a pair of fashionable black pumps with 2 inch heels? The answer is: "it depends". But again, I will go and rummage through the closet to find them, deliver them, and hope she forgets to wear them.

3. What a 91 year old woman does need is several new pairs of pants; jeans and such, that fit. They will need to be hemmed I'm sure as her body, like mine, is long torso-ed with short(er) legs. I will do this; it makes more sense than the mammogram or the heels.

4. What a 91 year old woman also needs are some good books, short fiction or non-fiction with larger print. She has read three in the last few weeks; a renewed interest in reading after a dry spell. This I can provide as there are several good books on my shelf she might enjoy.

5. Let's throw in a flu shot for good measure. This is another good idea.

6. Now, when we get to what a 91 year old man needs, I've drawn a complete blank other than that he needs to be loved. Open to broad interpretation, this need makes my head spin for lack of direction.

I have no idea what I am doing but do it I must.

2 comments:

  1. And you will, acting on the instincts of a daughter, not on reason. What requests need to make sense at 91? I feel somedays like I just want to fly off the handle and do crazy things that no one would expect or understand, and I'm 52.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    What makes sense? Context is everything. It all depends. Sending much love your way.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!