Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We're Off....

We're off for Florence tomorrow. My bag is packed. The boarding passes are printed. We have a ride to the airport (thanks, MM). I cleaned the fish bowl today and there's plenty of food and a fresh catnip toy for the cat (thanks for house-sitting, Chris). I'm excited to be going but at the same time I feel incredibly restless inside, anxious, at loose ends, and at "dis-ease". Does any of this surprise me? Does it surprise anyone in my immediate family? I'll just say "no, it does not."

This "amulet" on a silver chain will be around my neck tomorrow. I don't always wear it when I travel but it does have special significance. Over 30 years ago, a friendly, older woman sitting next to me on the flight between New York City and Aruba showed me her semi-precious stone collection. She told me I could pick one I liked. This one is "sodalite". I think of it as "the traveler's good luck charm". For years Mom had it in her possession after I gave it to her when she took a long journey from Houston to Alaska. We've always said the stone had magic powers and would watch over us. Whatever. I'll wear it and feel I've covered the bases. Mom may or may not remember the stone but I'll show it to her today when I say my goodbyes to both she and Dad. That'll be a tough one.

We'll have a computer with us on the trip and I may or may not post; will play that one by ear. I almost deleted my entire blog today such was my disdain for all my creative aspirations. I am blocked and empty for ideas. Time away may be just the thing. I'd love to say my heart belongs to Florence but it belongs to Seattle; until it no longer does.

PS I've voted; thank goodness for the absentee ballot! I'll be watching the news from 5000 miles away. My post on election day (already prepared) will tell you who got my vote. No one, even those who vote the opposite way will be surprised. I love ya'll anyway and I know you love me too. Such is the nature of our lives.

6 comments:

  1. Have a fabulous trip! It will good for your soul to see your daughter.

    Love the amulet story. Please do post if you feel up to it...we love to live vicariously through others - especially when they are in FLORENCE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My breath caught when I read you almost deleted your entire blog, I would so miss your insight and perspective. Enjoy Florence and your time away. Everything else will be here when you return. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wear that stone around your neck. Do not delete. Enjoy each day for its very immediacy. It is today, this moment, that each of us has, fleetingly. Spread love around. It multiplies. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon Voyage to both of you - please never erase your blog; I visit [revisit] your entries like I visit favorite poems and short stories. Purely selfish, but want you to know the gift they are for this reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A plate of lard--YUM!!! Have fun and, if you have time, blog! I'm enjoying the photos and stories. Most of all, just have a good time together...give Laura a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did Bama react when you showed her the sodalite? Did she remember? I hope you had fun on your wine tour today. Glad you are here in Florence!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!