Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Day Before Christmas

I am blessed. This Christmas I simply have to look a bit deeper to know that love abounds despite the struggles, hurdles, and challenges that are life right now. "It is what it is..." seems the appropriate descriptor for this week in late December 2008.

Early this morning as snow was falling (again), I looked out in the backyard and saw several birds hopping from branch to branch in the apple tree, pecking ravenously at the few withered apples hanging on limbs covered with a dusting of snow. The scene reminded me that life and living go on. It's all there for the taking if we only stop to listen and see.

I'm grateful today for Christmas and the gathering of family even though our celebrations will be very different this year. Chris is home and we'll enjoy a traditional Christmas Eve dinner tonight; just the three of us as Laura is abroad on a holiday tour of Scandinavia. She called today, the connection clear and her voice comforting. We will miss her presence. Our thoughts and prayers are also with Mom who was readmitted to the hospital yesterday. Adding to the challenge is this crazy cold snap bringing snow and ice. Clearly we'll be celebrating bits of Christmas for days as we do the best we can to coordinate the comings and goings of family amidst inclement weather conditions. This is not what we had planned but a gentle reminder that despite what rolls our way, we can adjust and make the best of the situation. The joy comes in seeing what's right and accepting the things that cannot be changed.

And so, unlike yesterday, I'm now listening to my Christmas music as I sit in the living room by the decorated tree. There are four stockings hanging by the fireplace; even though you aren't here Laura, we have your stocking in its rightful place and we hold you closely in our hearts.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night!

4 comments:

  1. Brother Rick and his wife, Chrissi, are here. Nephew Ivan is working today and couldn't be here. JP and Tris are here. Jonathan is making sweet potato casserole. The crown rib pork roast is in the smoker. I'm snapping green beans and everybody else is playing "Sequence" at the kitchen table. Christmas music playing in the background. I have a cup of java in my hand. Ed has a bad cold; I talked to my dad in Lake Havasu-he has a bad cold; my brother is on his way to see him--6 hour drive and his trip is delayed due to sinus infection, but we have all connected by phone except with my brother Ron. I'll try him again later. I guess Florida is the only warm place in the country: 72 degrees this mrning. Merry Chrismtas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and love and warmth to your entire family both near and far. xxxxnance, your new texas friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The joy comes in seeing what's right and accepting the things that cannot be changed." I will remember those words and the wisdom behind them. Happy Boxing Day!

    *On Christmas my family played "Sequence" at the kitchen table, too;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I love how my stocking is still there. I missed you guy lots on Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!