Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nothing to do but SUCK IT UP

.....the contractor, Mr. and Mrs.

Although I long to run outside, scream at the top of my lungs, fling my body on the wet grass, and make an enormous scene, I don't. And, I won't. That doesn't stop me from internal versions of the same scene however, lived out again and again.

Our new neighbors are not making a good first impression. Look at them here, all happy and excited about the first day of ground breaking on their new home. Mass destruction. Noise. Crowded street. And then once the destruction is finished, the laying of the new foundation for the dream home. Again, I ask; "Will this make you happy?". The answer (of course) is "NO".
What would I have had them do differently? Not build the home of their dreams? No. What I would have asked is that they knock on my door and tell me of their plans and acknowledge the disruption to the street, the hassle of a crummy scene of destruction, the noise factor that will go on for the next 9 months, and yes, the loss of our view.

A.C.K.N.O.W.L.E.D.G.E.M.E.N.T. Not even an "I'm sorry" necessarily. Just that they even sort of "get it", sort of understand the impact of their decisions.

Our decisions are not made in a vacuum. We may think so but they aren't. EVER.

I really agree with the person who said that we are all looking to be understood, just understood.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot believe they didn't even knock on doors to let folks know that noise was coming (for awhile...). Ugh - I had that people think they live in a vaccum and just do what they want to do. We do NOT all live on our own islands...there are other people around.... do they think they will be welcomed to the neighborhood after this??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true. They should have visited the neighborhood and introduced themselves, and told you what their plans were. To not do that - is just insensitive. And unneighborly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what they had to do to get a building permit. The town I live in now requires abutters to be notified of changes in the way the property will be used. A tear-down and rebuilding would qualify, I think. Regardless, it's just common courtesy to let neighbors know that you're going to turn the neighborhood upside down for almost a year.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!