Sunday, November 30, 2008

Nice'n Easy Natural Red Blonde

Even after 40 years, Clairol still makes Nice'n Easy Natural Red Blonde hair color. As a teenager, I was introduced to this product and used it off and on for years....so much so that everyone thought my hair was naturally this color. In college I quite dying my hair and let the authentic color evolve. Gradually people forgot, or never knew, I had hair any color other than what it was.


In 1970, at age 16, I was in Europe (and Florence) with Mom and Dad and I was a natural red blonde as seen in these "butt photos" that Dad took of Mom and me. He was famous for taking pictures of us from the rear. I've always wondered about that. You get a good look at Miss Clairol at work however. My hair is much like Mom's color; maybe (but I can't remember) that's what I was trying to achieve. Attempting to minimize the natural frizz in my hair, I took elaborate, somewhat byzantine steps to straighten the look. There were no plug in hair straighteners around in those days. If I was happy with the color, the curl was definitely not my thing and something in demand of daily attention. Some days were easier than others.

In case you can't find us in this butt photo taken between the Duomo and the Baptistery in Florence, look to the lower right in the photo. You'll spot my mother in a green dress and me by her side in a mini-skirt and white top.

What I think about here, in addition to the red-blonde hair, is that little child wearing a hat who stands midway along the bottom half of the photo. That little one is now 40 years old. Many of the other people are long gone. Those that aren't, are much, much older. The natural red blonde gal now has grey in her hair and hasn't sprung for highlights in over a year.

Time passes but Miss Clairol stays much the same.

2 comments:

  1. The strawberry blonde look is back with Kelan's hair. I always have thought his color hair was like Bama's "back in the day" - who knew it was back in the day for you too???? I always remember the red. =) BTW - my mom always takes butts shots/pics too....ask Mary and Queta....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember Sun-In - the stuff you'd spray on your hair and go out in the sun and it would lighten your hair? I used that stuff a lot, even though I was already a natural blonde.

    Funny!

    I never dyed my hair at all, until I was about 40. I am a firm committed "highlights" gal, at least until it all goes grey.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!