Sunday, November 30, 2008

Brother and Sister

He has ideas
and plans.
Energy.
He loves them as they
need to be loved
in these dark hours.
He's game for a sprint,
as we all are in this
long journey.
Piece by piece, with time away
to collect one's soul back from the fray.
At it again with a resigned, if not joyful style.
If there is ambivalence or pain,
it does not show.

For me, the exhaustion never quits.
The guilt over succumbing to exhaustion even worse.
I've always said, I'm up for a sprint, not a marathon.
Because, because....
Even with bits of time away, the rejuvenation never comes
and I feel older by the second.
My face muddy,
my heart stony and hard.
Aching to make the most of a whisper of time
but not knowing how, with my
soul slowly burning, evaporating into mist,
dying to today's promise
with the closing of a door.

1 comment:

  1. Your beautiful poem speaks to the sense of loss that family members feel, where each person deals in the best way they know how. All this admidst the joy of still having time and the sadness of knowing that time is short. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!