Sunday, November 23, 2008

Florence 1970: Florence 2008

The years pass; 38 to be exact. For the city of Florence, steeped in history, a few decades is nothing. Not quite the same for people who change quite a bit in the same span of time. On our recent trip to Florence, I wanted to get a photograph of Laura and me standing where Mom and I stood so many years ago, my only other time in Europe, during the summer of 1970.

Dad took this picture of Mom and me in front of Ghiberti's famous Baptistry Doors from the Florentine Renaissance. It was July 1970, warm and sunny. I was 16 years old and my Mom was the age I am now. And below, on a breezy, cool November day in 2008, I stood with my daughter, age 20 in front of those same doors in Florence. Time passes. The building doesn't change much if at all.
How do we ever know when we'll "be back" to visit again, or if we'll never be back? I don't suppose I gave this much thought way back then but I do now. Maybe some day, Laura will pose with her daughter or son in front of these doors which Michelangelo called, "the gates of Paradise". Or, maybe not. Only time, most mysterious and elusive, will tell.

6 comments:

  1. Aww this is so cute! :-D I am glad we kept the tradition going. Maybe someday I will be able to do this with my future daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate! I found you again...so glad that you're back in the blogosphere.

    Love these two photos! A wonderful tradition you've begun. Laura is a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to have both of these photographs. It is interesting to see the different body language between the two photos. Your mom looks very spiffy in that photo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timeless. Gates of Paradise indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How incredible to be able to post both pictures! Also, how incredible to take that trip with your daughter. It seems you had a lovely time. I am thrilled for your adventure:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to find a thread that runs through the generations.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!