Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Chris

As I packed up my things to leave Mom's room this morning I reminded her that today her grandson Chris celebrates his 23rd Birthday. She was there when he was born as was my sister and Denny. Chris was born at 3:41 PM and weighed 7 pounds 12 ounces. Houston was brilliant blue and crisp on February 17, 1986. Welcoming Chris into the world was one of the happiest days of my life.

Even though Mom was pretty sleepy at 6:45 this morning as we sat there drinking coffee she said, "What I remember is Denny using a manila file folder to fan you." Yep, I bet that's true although that's not in my memory bank. Sometimes it's so nice to have someone else who was witness to the big events in our lives remind us what we may have forgotten, even if it's just a little snippet memory like the one Mom brought up. Perhaps especially if it's a little snippet like this. I probably appreciated the fanning.

Happy Birthday Chris!

Forgive me recounting some of the little details of February 17, 1986. Your Dad and I are so proud of you and thrilled to watch you settle into the shoes of the wonderful young man you've become.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I was there to celebrate Chris's Birthday! Sounds like you guys had a great time. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool. 23! I'm close behind you, my son will be 21 in June.

    it is always astonishing to realize they are men, isn't it? I was just looking at photos of him as a little toddler the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom shared a precious memory of that day. My oldest son will soon turn 27, and I remember clearly how it felt to welcome him into the world. I, too, am grateful for those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite a birthing and I was there photographing. Mom was there. The room was filled and when Chris was born, three nurses in green all hovered over him like the godmothers in the fairy tale in order to see that everything about him was just perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!