Thursday, February 19, 2009

Poetry by J. Updike

John Updike died in late January 2009. He was a prolific writer. I've read far too little of his work and am inspired to seek out the Rabbit series and others. Dad always loved reading Updike and still owns several, old hardback editions of his novels. I'll add these to the "must read" list.

I didn't realize that Updike wrote poetry as well. I found this poem today and love the subject.......sleep and its elusive strangeness. I think of my Mom who has struggled all her life to deal with what Updike labels "the twists of another world" and who affirms what I've long thought about sleep:"This churning is our journey." Gorgeous words.

Tossing and Turning

The spirit has infinite facets, but the body
confiningly few sides.
There is the left,
the right, the back, the belly, and tempting
in-betweens, northeasts and northwests,
that tip the heart and soon pinch circulation
in one or another arm.
Yet we turn each time
with fresh hope, believing that sleep
will visit us here, descending like an angel
down the angle our flesh's sextant sets,
tilted toward that unreachable star
hung in the night between our eyebrows, whence
dreams and good luck flow.
Uncross
your ankles. Unclench your philosophy.
This bed was invented by others; know we go
to sleep less to rest than to participate
in the twists of another world.
This churning is our journey.
It ends,
can only end, around a corner
we do not know
we are turning.

"Tossing and Turning" by John Updike, from Collected Poems 1953-1993. © Alfred A. Knopf, 1993.

4 comments:

  1. Me too, I want to read the Rabbit novels. The most recent New Yorker had a lot of short Updike excerpts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing on this poem, Kate. I just read it to my sister aloud. Am having a brief visit with her. He captures what those who wrestle with sleep issues deal with. Such amazing words - and humor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. I had no idea that anyone could put words to the feeling of falling asleep. Lately I've imagined myself "descending" as I get closer to sleep, which helps me "unclench." Indeed, "This churning is our journey."

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, incredible.

    My sentiments exactly about Updike. I have read very little, have become much more aware of him since his death, know he is someone to BE read, and have recently been mourning what happened to my once great drive (and time) to read.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!