Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Feather

This post makes me very sad; I'm not quite certain I should be writing about these thoughts but have decided to push the boundaries a bit. An issue that never strays far from my awareness; these thoughts are always close at hand.

Let's start with feathers. I don't often see feathers on the ground when I'm out and about. Spotting one is surprisingly rare, even when I walk in the park, perhaps because my gaze is higher and not so close to the ground. When I do happen upon a lone feather, I startle inside and think, "Oh no, not yet, not now, not this feather.....". My thoughts immediately go to my Mother.

Why? Because, once upon a time several years ago Mom told me in a flight of fancy that when she was "gone" she would send me a message from the beyond to let me know that all was well, that her journey was fine, and that she was OK. This is so like Mom, always concerned about letting family know that the destination has been reached safely. Her communication, she explained, would take the form of a feather. There were no other details, just a feather. I doubt that she would even remember this conversation were we to discuss it again. And yet, I'm so tempted to confirm, to seal the deal, to re-establish that promise between us.

These days the mere sighting of a feather invokes a burst of adrenalin; I wonder where Mom is and if she's just sent me her message. I experience an overpowering urge to call her on the phone to find out if she is OK.

I'm trying very hard to explore and embrace the concept that all of life is energy, at one with the the Divine. When we change from the form to the formless, our consciousness lives on. The opposite of death is birth. Life has no opposite because it is infinite and limitless.

2 comments:

  1. I remember Bama once told me about Elizabeth Kubler (sp?) Ross and the message she got from her father. He said once he passed there would be red roses on white snow (or something like that) and she saw a bunch of red roses on white snow shortly after his death and knew he was ok on the other side. I remember her talking about how that made her feel better and not so afraid of dying. That is a clear memory to me from the summer after I graduated from college and did so many interviews with her and some with you as well.

    I think it is important to talk about it now. I am glad you wrote this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although this post is more bitter-sweet, I think that it sends an over uplifting message. I think you should try to reaffirm this promise. I bet you'd be surprised that she remembered having this conversation years ago! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!