Monday, February 4, 2008

Mondays

Mondays are tough days for me; my new schedule has me working in the clinic and the hospital at the start of every week. So far this calendar year under the new regime, every single Monday has been a "bust butt" day; jam packed, frenetic, overfilled, exhausting, frustrating and most of all "no fun". Maybe Mondays are not supposed to be fun. I work an occasional Friday and those days are so much different.

I'm wiped out tonight. Days like today make me feel like I'm too old for all of this, that my time with this sort of work has come and gone, and that I just need to phase out. The exhaustion is as much (and perhaps more) mental as physical. My brain is on over-drive all day trying to figure out puzzling symptoms, design plans, followup on plans, keep "on time", answer jillions of questions, balance five active issues at once, be interrupted in my thought flow all day long with things important and things un-important. It's just too much. I barely make it to the restroom and almost never sit down to eat for more than a few minutes.

Plus, I have to be nice all day long, even when I don't want to be. I've learned how to do this so well that it is second nature and I don't even question it until I get home and realize just how aggravating and annoyed I was with this, that, or the other.

Tomorrow, I only work until noon and wrap up all the work in progress from today. I wish there were a way to balance (so called "level-load" in our business) this work, spread it out a little more evenly so it doesn't all blast off on Monday, sending me into orbit mode, spinning like a top, and rattling like a snake by the time I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!