Wednesday, February 27, 2008

U Go Girl

All month I've been logging on to the Danskin Triathlon web site in search of the big announcement. Participation in the Seattle Tri is limited to about 3500 women and each year the event fills quickly, so quickly that this year the registration was open for less than a day. I logged on late evening of the day prior to registration, found the site open, and got my name added to the list. I'm in! And, I'm very excited for another chance to participate in what was a major step in my life towards better mental and physical health.

Last year the event itself was a glorious high, pure excitement, and surreal as I watched hundreds and hundreds of women, all ages and all abilities press on towards the finish line. I underestimated the energy that comes from being in a crowd of other participants and the effect of spectators, cheering us on along the route. Someone once said that 20 percent of the performance on race day (maybe even more) comes from the energy of the moment. Even the blustery rain and chill didn't dampen the enthusiasm (maybe for the fans but not the participants).

But, the training was so tough for me that there were many times I wanted to walk away from it all, defeated. Something pulled me back in and I recognize that this was my inner voice saying "you can do it" even on days when every bone and muscle was hurting and my breath lasted but a block or a lap in the pool. I can expect that again this year; my body is not one that has ever been used to pushing hard. I'm hopeful that the memory of sweet success will count for something as I get back on that bike, slip into the pool, and hit the pavement in earnest.

Dealing with this injured knee of mine is the next step before I can get serious about training. I'm a bit leery of elective surgery but have to tell myself this isn't really elective since without it, I won't be able to participate in the event that woke me up to the athletic side of myself. If all goes as planned, three weeks after the knee surgery I should be out there. I will keep a positive attitude and see myself making tracks in Discovery Park over the loop trail, breathing in rhythm with my feet, moving forward into my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!