Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Three Wonderful Women

I think it most unusual that within 24 hours I have been in contact with all three of the women who worked alongside me during my 16 years of practice at VMMC. Although they no longer work at the clinic, this amazing trio of women helped me navigate through each day in the care of the profession's most challenging patients. First Carol, then Carin, and finally Nicole; each in succession, and each by my side for about 5 years. I am most blessed to have developed not only a great professional relationship with each of them during our years together but a personal rapport as well. How odd to connect with each of them, one right after another, after months spent out of touch. What does it mean?

These invaluable three, whose job description changed from OA (office assistant) to the more recent descriptive CSR (clinical service representative), worked tirelessly to organize my schedule and the flow of patients in and out of the office. They also made me laugh and cry and challenged me to be the best I could be. And yet, they all provided me space to be myself, all in the midst of daily highs and lows. We weathered many storms together; many a difficult day I relied on them to prop me up with their strength and insights. Perhaps on other days, I did the same for them. All three brought unique gifts to their work life and enriched me in different ways. But, all shared the gifts of being great listeners and the ability to smooth out the rough edges in me, streamlining the work flow and running the practice with the efficiency of a well oiled machine. My patients loved them and relied on them to be at the other end of the telephone with a welcoming presence. I will always be indebted to Carol, Carin and Nicole and feel fortunate to have developed friendships with each that went beyond the office routine.

Yesterday I saw Nicole in person after more than a year and re-connecting was wonderful. Today, within minutes I received emails, first from Carol and then from Carin. Carin has moved back to the area after a number of years on the east coast. Carol may be moving back here sometime as well. What amazing timing (synchronicity?) to connect with all three in such a short period of time. I believe that the universe is pointing out what I already know and now feel compelled to acknowledge in writing. I am most grateful that time and distance have not interfered with the deep connections I have with Carol, Carin and Nicole which began as we stood side by side, day after day, in service to our patients. We were a fabulous team!

To Carol, Carin, and Nicole, thank you for being in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!