Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sigh.....

Yesterday was a busy day at work; lots of people in clinic and all of them challenging in one way or another. As the day wound to a close, I found myself in the cafeteria getting a much needed cup of coffee and ran into a colleague, a cardiologist. We chatted briefly, catching up on work, just the everyday chit chat that goes on in a thirty second window of time on the run.

A man walked up to us carrying his tray with plates and utensils; obviously he'd finished his meal and was looking for a place to put the used items. People wearing white coats usually know where to go and we're all used to people asking us for directions.

"Excuse me, where do I put this tray?", he asked us.

"You're almost there.", I told him. "Right around the corner to your right".

And then, as he walked off in the direction of the cafeteria's moving conveyor belt, I remarked to my colleague, "That's the first question all day that I've had a decent answer for....." He laughed (knowingly) as we walked off in different directions, on our separate ways. He "got it".

Some days are like that; question after question after question and I feel like I'm making up the answers as I go along, trying to predict a future that's murky or to offer explanations for the unknown. I could just say, "I don't know" a million times over but that's a bit tiresome too.

Thankfully I answered one question with some accuracy yesterday. That will have to do. Let's hope today is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!