Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Postmistress


















Highly recommended!!!

The audio book mesmerized me. This is historical fiction from 1941 before America entered WW II. The characters are beautifully rendered and the plot gripping. Told from both sides of the Atlantic, this is one of the best books I've read in the last few years. Sarah Blake does a terrific job capturing the tension of those months before America entered into war; much is told through the eyes and ears of a reporter on the scene in London and mainland Europe. Contrast her experience with what's going on "at home" in a small town on Cape Cod makes for a great story line. All the characters are indelibly linked together.

Great writing and great reading or listening! Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. How funny -- I'm just finishing the novel myself and think it's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love book recommendations! Thanks for sharing. Your yellow flower photos are lovely and the "finer than froghair" saying is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to see the recommendation on the front of "The Postmistress" is from the author of "The Help," which I just finished and liked a lot. I will have to check out your latest gem, Kate.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!