Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy 2008

I'm thinking about how we mark the passing years chronologically. Here we are in 2008 and I would bet that all reading this have "said" in their heads "two thousand eight". That would be one way of referring to our new year. But, in 1998 or 1988 or when we refer to a time we haven't lived like 1888, we say "eighteen eighty eight" and not "eighteen hundred eighty eight" or "nineteen hundred eighty eight". We lose the hundred or in the case of the new millennium, the thousand. But probably not during the first decade of the new century when to do otherwise would create some ambiguity. What does "twenty eight" sound like? Not quite like 2008. Hmmmmm.

The bigger issue is: who cares? But, this is the musing of my insomniac mind as we roll over into another year. When in this new millennium (and century) will we dispense with the "Two thousand" and just use "Twenty"? Probably in 2010.

To one and all; Happy New Year in this "Twenty Eight"!

1 comment:

  1. Happy 2008 to you, too. This is the first time I have been back to your blog for a couple of weeks and so much has happened in your life in that time-some happy, some sad, all heartfelt. I envy your facility with the written word and revel in your poetry. I agree with Jeanne that you need a picture of you in the red dress in your blog (Jeanne, there is one in Facebook if you really want to see it--she looks stunning). Thanks for letting me be a part of your life--it is an adventure I wouldn't miss for the world!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!