Friday, May 30, 2008

Getting to the Root

I had thought the so-called "Five Whys" came from Kaizen thinking (Japanese for the process of continuous quality improvement) and perhaps it does. I just can't find the documentation for this right now and don't want to waste time with further research. As someone who has lived the concepts of Kaizen in the workplace over the last 5 years, one of the teachings that is said to lead to the root cause of any problem is asking "Five Whys". Start with a problem question like: "Why are we losing business?" or "Why is our office so disorganized?" and answer the question thoughtfully but quickly (not a ton of analysis, please). Then, whatever the answer may be, go ahead and ask "Why?" again and answer that question until there have been Five Whys and Five Answers. When you get to the fifth answer, you have arrived at the root. The root contains the key to change and success, or so say the believers.

I've tried this approach a few times and sometimes it is helpful. Rarely can I figure out what to do with the answer to the fifth question, the so-called crux of the problem. My M.O. is to be quite skilled at getting to the root but miserable at repairing, fixing, or attacking the fundamental problem. But on a positive note, some famous persons have said, "You can't change what you don't acknowledge". (Dr. Phil, for one) so perhaps I am on the path and will get there eventually.

Case in point.....today I tried the "Five Whys" and was flummoxed (great word) by the fact that it only took two questions to get the root of this conundrum. Of course I wasn't the one answering the questions....someone else took that role. There was no hope of asking another "why?" after the answer to the second question burst forth. Considering the source, I do NOT take offense. This is our usual banter back and forth; we've been together longer than we have not.

She, lying in bed asked of him: "Why am I so miserable?"

"Because you're crazy.", he answered.

"Why am I crazy?", she asked.

"Because of genetics.", he stated.

Case closed. Lest my blood relatives raise an eyebrow or two, don't. Consider the source. The pot is calling the kettle black. If I were playing with the "Five Whys" it might go like this....

1.Why am I so miserable?
Because I'm doing what I don't want to be doing.

2.Why am I doing what I don't want to be doing?
Because I feel like I have to.

3. Why do I feel like I have to?
Because I feel guilty if I don't.

4. Why do I feel guilty?
Because it's my destiny.

5. Why is it my destiny?
Because I am my mother.

Revelation!! Ding Ding Ding!!! This is the same root as "genetics"; it just took me 5 questions to get there.

Good thing I'm off to a three day Women's Yoga Retreat today. I won't be posting this weekend. I'll be in balasana or shivasana and learning again how to be my own person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!