Sunday, May 11, 2008

Holding Hands

Mother's Day 2008

Compared to last year when we had a full on celebration at Arapahoe with a meal and the gathered clan in attendance, this Mother's Day was tame. I'm glad we were more laid back about this artificially elevated Sunday in May; this one felt easy and spontaneous. No plans; just a slow unfolding.


It's odd being both honored as a Mother and honoring my own Mother at the same time. But, I've been doing this now for 23 years and realize that this state is privileged and transient. I visited Mom for a bit this afternoon. She appreciated the small gestures of a card, African violet and espresso dusted malted milk balls. She wasn't expecting much. I didn't stay particularly long but it was peaceful just sitting there with Dad half asleep and Mom dancing from topic to topic.


Later in the afternoon, Laura, Chris, Denny and I drove to our favorite Thai restaurant on First Hill and enjoyed a nice meal together. There was plenty of joshing and push-pull between all parties, as is the norm of late when the four of us get together. I am amazed at how far we've come from the days when a meal together, in or out, would be adversely affected with one or another emotional crisis, usually generated from the angst between these two who flank me in this photo. They do grow up. They laugh when I take all these photos. "Mom's getting ready to post a blog", they mutter. "Oh, no......" Tolerance, acceptance, and perhaps admiration. It's all good. So was the food.

These times are special. I get it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!