Thursday, May 8, 2008

Unfolding

This tree on Viewmont had me worried. I thought is was dead. Not only did it look very odd over the winter months (To Leave or Not to Leave post) with the top of the tree bare of leaves and the lower half adorned with crispy, dead, brown leaves but, until last week this tree was still "wintered". Leaves from last year clung mightily to the lower branches despite wind, rain, and other inclement forces. I've been watching closely in my daily drive along Viewmont hoping hoping to catch some signs of life from this mature beauty. She has not disappointed; the shriveled brown leaves surrendered to the push of new buds in the last week. She is very much alive; the unfolding will continue until the young green of spring matures into the rich green of summer.


Difficult to appreciate from this photograph, buds are sprouting slowly but compared to the same tree photographed in January, the progress is more obvious. That I'm paying attention to this is not new. But that I write about what I see and document with photographs is new. The process is richly rewarding although I yearn to discover where this is leading me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!