Monday, August 24, 2009

Blogoversary # 2

August 24, 2007 was the date I logged in my first blog post and here I am two years later writing my 497th entry at Ahead of the Wave. I'm surprised that I've kept right along writing, somehow finding things to say, always coming back after several dramatic pronouncements about taking a break or never showing my face again.

Today I'm reflecting back on these two years. Two years is not much time in a life already lived over half of a century but I must say, these particular two years seem "heavy" with moments to be remembered. Maybe it's because I've written about many of them. Maybe it's because I have pictures. Who knows?

I started blogging about the Danskin Triathlon in 2007; an amazing experience that launched me into a writing frenzy even though I haven't participated in another triathlon since. Crossing the finish line was my peak moment for those 24 months, without a doubt. That's why I feature my Triathlon photograph on my home page. I'm hoping to get back there again whether it be through participation in a similar event or finding a new passion that boosts those brain endorphins in a similar way. It's all about finding passion for one's work and one's life. Work Worth Doing; I've written about this before.

So, in between wondering and writing about what I want to do with the second half of my life, musing and lurching 3 steps forward and 2 steps back, learning to surrender to the wave, lots of "things" have happened in the two years since I started this blog.

My son graduated from college and got a good job. My husband graduated from law school and passed the Washington State Bar Exam. He also got a job. My daughter spent a year studying abroad in Europe. She returned home safely with amazing experiences.

My son met a wonderful young woman and asked her to marry him. She said yes! The wedding will take place in November this year.

I've been traveling; to Italy, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Vancouver Island, Portland, Spokane, and the pine-y forests of the Cascade mountains in a tent. I've eaten wonderful meals and shared countless bottles of white wine with the man I love.

I've also helped move my parents three times in these 2 years. I've driven hundreds, if not thousands of miles in the car to and from, to and from, to and from and spent many nights sleeping in Mom's room when things were not going well. Doctor visits, hospitalizations, deteriorating physical and cognitive abilities, never ending needs and requests, bills and paperwork are tenaciously adherent to my existence. Of this I am bone weary. Things are certainly better now but all the "help" in the world can't take away the emotional pain of watching dementia run off with a loved one bit by bit.

What else in the last 2 years??? More good things: Our street is quiet now that construction on our new neighbor's home is complete. We treated ourselves to a new furniture in our family room this year; lookin' good after 15 years of tired old stuff. Last summer we had eight gorgeous Leyland cypress planted along our fence line in the backyard; baby trees that have grown enormously in one year and delight us with the promise of shade and a wall of green. We've had more blooms from our night blooming cereus plant in the last 2 summers than we've had in 18 years in Seattle.

I've written some poetry. I've laughed raucously. I've cried like a crazy loon. I've wasted time. I've been productive and obsessive. It's been 2 years of blogging and living. I have no idea what comes next.

4 comments:

  1. I've loved reading it! You are a wonderful writer and I'm so glad you have shared your thoughts and emotions! I love your photos, too. Kate, I don't know if you realize it but you have another fan (clue: he lives in ND. He asked me once if I thought you would mind if you knew).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is full when you look back over a period of time and assess all that has happened. Your writing and stories give me hope that I can keep on keepin' on, too. There will be tears and laughter, and some days will be better than others. The deal is that we're not through yet, so we have to keep going. Here's looking at the next two years - come what may.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds to me like a life fully lived. And that's the best way to do it. Congrats on the anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations and keep writing! That is a personal plea because I love to read what you write. :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!