Sunday, August 24, 2008

Blogoversary


Today is my first "Blogoversary"; a term I hadn't heard until last month when I saw a widget on another blogger's website and thought I'd add my own count-down Blogoversary notation to the sidebar of Ahead of the Wave. A whole year into blogging and 271 posts down the line, I've learned volumes about blogs, their purposes, their power, and just how important blogging has become a part of my everyday living. I've barely scratched the surface of this blogging craze but find myself humbled, amazed, and quite honestly committed (aka addicted) to the plan to "keep on keepin' on". Adding a second blog last month at WordPress entitled Remembering You is just another sign that this stuff is sticking on me.

Where to begin? What do I say on this 24th day of August, the date marking one year of sharing myself via a personal blog with family, friends, acquaintances, interested or indifferent strangers, maybe even enemies?

1. First, it feels weird but also exhilarating to publish my thoughts and put them out there in cyberspace. I own these posts and the consequences. In the process, I've tried to be respectful with the information I've chosen to post but I know that I've probably "crossed the line" on occasion, maybe more than occasionally. I'm developing more defined boundaries on what I'm willing and unwilling to throw out there. The temptations are real, the realities are also important. I welcome feedback on whether I've said too much, overstepped or have been just plain out of line. And, if I have offended, I'm sorry and will try (if you'll send me feedback) to make adjustments.

2. I've learned many things about myself in the process of writing and posting. I've learned what I love and why I love it. I've learned what makes me crazy and gleaned insights into the "whys" there as well. Writing has also brought comfort and healing to thorny issues in my life. Working with words helps me work out some kinks. All good.

3. I've read some wonderful blog posts written by others; stories that make me cry, laugh out loud, think, ponder, and ask more questions of myself. My Google Reader has me following almost 100 different blogs. Keeping up is a huge commitment of time; many days I skim and cull out what I can. I'm absolutely amazed at the quality of the content on personal blogs. People--You Can Write!

4. I've "met" some interesting people on line and hope that these connections will deepen over time. Some are virtual friends and others I met in person at the BlogHer Conference in July. Leaving comments on other blog sites sparks these connections. For all of you who hold back from commenting, I'd really encourage you to do so. For all who've considered starting a blog, I'd say a resounding, "Go for it!"

4. I've learned wonderful things about my family from reading blogs authored by my sister and nieces. Blogging is a great forum for sharing. When lives are busy and chit chat time is limited, catching up via blog posts is a privilege. These women are amazing.

5. I'm learning how to improve my writing skills through blogging. The near daily discipline is good practice for the next something in my life. What that something is involves words on paper but the form is murky right now. That excites me.

6. Finally, blogging is so huge that the challenge is to move with the flow, to learn, and to keep up with an ever changing art form. I'm fairly certain I'll celebrate another Blogoversary in August 2009. The year ahead calls. Where I'm going will unfold with time.

To all who've been reading, commenting, and supporting me in the world of blogging, a big thank you! You're the best.



Labyrinth photographs from Grace Cathedral, San Francisco

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful acknowledgment of your first anniversary. What a roller coaster year and what better way to both remember and honor it than with a blog written with sensitivity, honesty and love. Like the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Kate! Feel proud and good. You've created something here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been my pleasure to read what you choose to share. Happy Anniversary! I, too, am looking forward to the year to come.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!