Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"Bookend-ed"

I need someone really smart, wise, grounded and insightful to lead me on the journey between these two gnarly affirmations, bits of three word advice, that have me tied up in knots today. Check out these two well known statements.

"Innocence is Bliss." and "Knowledge is Power."

Innocence may be bliss but living like that is playing the dumb ass goat in my book.

Knowledge may be power but seeking to understand is exhausting work, fraught with perilous issues of boundaries and a sense that all this work gets me nowhere and adds to the anxiety titer.

I'm clearly opting for the dumb ass goat model. Or, am I? Is there another lovely three word affirmation that might be a healthy blend of the two? Or am I destined to follow my typical "all black, all white" wiring?

Without going into huge detail, which I would love to do for therapeutic reasons, I'm smashed between trying to be ignorantly blissful and powerfully knowledgeable. Bookend-ed and suffocating with little wiggle room, mostly because I cannot "see" with clarity.

So, how to navigate this wave? How to pay (proper) attention to the polar opposite pulls in my life such that I don't churn the waters into a big foamy mess that will only make everyone involved worse off? If I knew, I wouldn't be writing this.


2 comments:

  1. Remember, it's you who've created those bookends or 'framed' them as bookends. They don't have to be bookends.

    Why not 'follow your bliss'? How's that for three words? Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point; I'm trying hard to follow my bliss, this nascent creative pull which intermittently fuels me with joy. Bliss has got to be strong enough to break the bookends.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!