Saturday, August 16, 2008

Trek to REI

Laura leaves for a study-abroad year in Florence in several weeks. We've had the entire summer to prepare for the seemingly endless details of her trip but alas, we've left many of them to the last days when tensions are rising and leave taking looms large. None of us is surprised.

Yesterday she and I ventured to REI to look for a sizable backpack for her to use on the 10 day "Opening Tour" to Berlin, Krakow, and Prague. The main luggage for the year abroad gets loaded on to a truck in Berlin to make its way to Florence while the students, all 120 of them, live out of a backpacks; "nothing bigger" for the opening tour. Hmmmmm.

REI seemed like a good place to start but the choices were overwhelming. Laura, focusing in on all the stuff she'd need to take, opted for the largest pack on the rack and was willing to make a purchase without even trying it on for size and suitability. Hey, slow down. This ain't happening when I'm paying the bill. This and other frustrations, like shortage of staff help and just too many choices (including packs designed to carry ice axes and crampons for a trek to the summit of Mt. Rainier) led to some interesting mother-daughter insanities that probably drew some attention from patrons who bothered to listen. Our voices, especially mine, were louder than the average prim and proper Seattleite.

Frustrated and cranky, I snapped and L and I found ourselves halfway out the door of REI with me saying, "We can come back; let's just research this a bit more and THINK ABOUT IT." She countered with, "No, Mom; we don't have time to waste; I don't want to come back here again." Around this time we finally understood why D declined the opportunity (aka hell) to accompany us on this outing. We could have used his expertise but he was smart and self protective. He knows.

Before I knew what was happening, she led me to an area of REI where there are computer terminals for customers to log on to the store website and look for product information, an open area without inventory and a high ceiling. Neutral zone. She said to me, "Mom, we are taking a time out."

L absolutely owned the process and for that I'm grateful as I usually storm out with her in tow like a ten year old. This time she turned the tables on me and all for the good. I was ready to be knocked down a peg.

"Mom, just breathe. Take a deep breath and calm down. No, not like that; a deeeeeper breath, all the way in and all the way out. You'll feel much better, I promise." She demonstrated the breathe she wanted me to take and pointed out that my feeble attempt was too shallow and wouldn't get me to the place of calm. "Again, Mom; deep breath, like this...."

We burst out laughing. That's the blessing. Laura turned the mood around. Completely. I felt much like the kids she nannies. I'd been reigned in, corralled, and deflected back onto a healthier path by the master. Good work. Bless you, Miss Laura.

We launched ourselves into backpack hunting once again, the tension broken.

We found a "nice man", older, experienced and wise who led us to backpacks designed for women taking trips overseas, women with no intention of climbing mountains or roughing it in the brush. Laura was quick to tell him the requirements; "I'm a girl, I have lots of stuff." He nodded knowingly and gave us some great options, one that ended up the irresistible, perfect choice. We thanked him profusely and allowed that he had saved us from killing each other. "We wouldn't want that", he admonished, "it wouldn't reflect well on REI." Smile. He got it.

With awesome backpack in hand as well as a few other must haves for the trip, we headed to the cashier where a conversation about blog posting started.

"Are you gonna blog about this?"

"I'd like to; is that OK?"

"Yeah, but try to put me in a good light for once."

Hmmmmm, I thought. Lengthy discussion ensued. The lady in front of us probably saying to herself, "Huh? WTF?". Or maybe not.

"OK, I will write about how you saved me from a melt-down in the middle of REI; how's that?"

"Sounds good; go for it Mom."

"I'll take pictures of you and your gear when we get home for the post, OK?"

"Yes, Mom. OK, Mom."

Finally, out to the parking garage, the gear stowed in the trunk we made our way to the cashier with our stub for one free hour of parking at REI.

"That's three dollars, ma'am", said the young man at the booth.

"Huh? I just spent big bucks in the store. How much over an hour were we?" (Time really passes when you're deep breathing.)

"An hour and ten minutes, ma'am."

"Awhhh, come on. That bites."

"Ma'am, I hear that all the time. I'm sorry. It'll be three dollars."

Enter Miss Laura as only she can do.....

"Awhhh, come on. It's only a little bit over an hour and we spent a ton of money in there. Plus, it would really make our day." Big smile.

You already know the outcome. It sure wasn't me that had any influence. She saved me the price of my next Americano. You go girl.

This backpack is the bomb. It'll serve her well on opening tour and all those weekend side trips in Italy and beyond. I'm envious that I'm not twenty again and headed to Europe on the trip of a lifetime. But, I couldn't be happier for her. She'll come away with an experience that will change her life. She knows that too.

4 comments:

  1. We talked about the blogging our mothers do and appreciate the asking permission and removing unfavorable pictures. :D

    I think this trip will be transformative...starting with figuring out how to fit all you need a smaller container. It helps determine what is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is lovely in face as well as person. Loved this post. The time when you will be friends is rounding the corner I expect. Wow! A year in Florence. My sister did that years ago and it was transformative. I wish her best and her mom hugs for having to see her daughter off on this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the back pack. Best looking one I've seen. Like the story. Ouch to Mary for her comment about Moms and blogging. Yes, it's a good idea to ask before pushing publish. But sometimes it's irresistible to just go ahead. I am guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lessons we learn from our children, which are usually based on something they learned from us along the way. Your daughter sounds like she is ready to take on Florence. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!