Thursday, August 21, 2008

What I Know about 20 is Worth 20 Cents

The summer I turned 20 years old, between sophomore and junior years of college, I took two summer school classes at Indiana University. Biochemistry and Microbiology. I lived with my Aunt and Uncle and rode a bicycle to class every morning, pedaled home in the afternoon and then got to work studying. I worked hard and got 6 credit hours with a 4.0 GPA for my efforts.

I don't recall any social life; the few students I met in class weren't really friends, just acquaintances. I entertained myself by watching the opera students rehearse for the summer production of Gilbert and Sullivan's, The Gondoliers during the evening hours with my uncle. As Dean of the School of Music at I.U., music was his life and opera in particular. I remember sitting in on so many rehearsals that the musical score burned itself into my brain by the time dress rehearsal rolled around. And then, entertainment was continuing to watch the fully costumed performances at the Opera Hall for many more nights. Why did I do this? Perhaps because there was little else besides the Gondoliers and studying.

I don't remember going out at night for purposes other than the opera. I watched a lot of TV, saw a few movies (maybe) and looked forward to my parents visiting. It was an odd summer living with people ten years older than my parents, being respectful of my role as a house guest, and studying instead of "studying/playing". I listened to dozens of "talking" clocks in their home; from grandfather to wall from small to large sitting on all surfaces. Most of them chimed the hour or worse, the quarter hour, 24/7. I took all this eccentricity in stride and don't recall giving it a second thought.

I was the proverbial Good Girl. I didn't fight against it or wish I was elsewhere. I had lived through two years of college, replete with the typical craziness of being free of parental supervision, on my own, making my choices, and atoning for stuff I thought was all my fault. I had worked through a lot of the madness and playing around endlessly didn't appeal. On the bell curve of idiocy, I was somewhere to the left of mid line; some semblance of maturity blooming (perhaps).

My personal experiences at age 20 count for little right now. The times are different. The wiring is different. I am flummoxed. I feel that what I say matters greatly but that whatever comes out of my mouth will be the wrong thing; words ignored, advice given but not appreciated or worse yet, words that hurt and remembered forever. I could elect to "put a sock in it". I could take the tact of screaming and yelling but I've already been advised that this "doesn't do any good". I can pray for grace; this seems to be the only path that makes sense. Whether or not any words will come, I know not. Bone weary and terminally confused, I'm doing the best I know how.

4 comments:

  1. This is my first visit to your blog--I really like your writing style! And I can't believe how many of your 20 things we have in common. I'll be back, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I turned 20 in February 1976. Just two months before I had quit college, after a 4.0 GPA semester, and moved in with my boyfriend, now my husband. I had zero financial support from my parents, and I had fallen in love. Fast forward 24 years, when my daughter is 20. That summer between her soph and junior years of college she worked as a substitute mail carrier, and she stayed with a friend's family because I was refinishing wood floors and repurposing rooms. Honestly, I had little say about her life that summer. She needed to work to have spending money at college, but beyond that I didn't care what she did as long as she returned to school. Quitting, as I had done, was not an option. This is all to say that I think our experiences color our expectations of and interactions with our children. We know what we lived through and how that turned out - if things worked out we want that for our children, and if things didn't work out we want something different (the quitting school part, not the marriage part which still works after 30 years) for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. This is a not a good time to drop in and tell you that I'm tagging you for a meme. Unless being a little silly would help?

    I don't think you'll have to look very far to find the grace you are looking for. I'm certain it's in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were SO GOOD. So much of the time. i think I rebelled in my thirties.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!