Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Book's Title

Last night was my Book Club meeting. Since I hadn't finished Dave Eggers What is the What (only made it 2/3 of the way through the 500 pages), I debated whether or not to go. The pull of Barbara's home with the gorgeous view of Puget Sound, the thought of a lovely dinner shared with interesting women, and the requisite glass or two of wine convinced me to go anyway. The hours spent were great. I would have regretted not going. There were nine of us last evening and the discussion of What is the What was lively and touching. I'm inspired to watch the documentary film The Lost Boys of Sudan to have a visual of this experience and more background.

I'm always intrigued (or on some occasions obsessed) by a the title of a book. However, in most Book Club gatherings, the title of our selection is rarely discussed as if it simply "comes with the book". I find this odd because for me, the author's selection of title tells so much about the intent of the book and can be a clue to the heart, the core, the root, the crux, the kernels of wisdom that spring from the pages (assuming you're reading something in the genre of books amenable to take away wisdom). As I read a book, I'm always looking for the connection to the title, especially if the title is unusual. Almost always, the threads are there somewhere in the text, shedding light on the author's choice of words. Although I rarely speak up about the title of our current selection at book club, I'm going to start. I want to be known as the analyzer of book titles. If I can't add a lot of meat (some people are just natural born talkers at book club and go on and on) to the discussion, I'll at least be able to wax about the title, my little passion.

What is the What is a great title. There isn't a question mark in the title even though there might be. Why not? The title comes from a Sudanese legend about the beginning of time when God created man. God gave man and woman the cow, a symbol of prosperity but offered a choice; either keep the cow or take the "what". The unknown "what"; the mystery and the risk. By legend, the Sudanese kept the cow and left the "what" as the proverbial unknown, prospering in their decision. Yet, the question of what is the "what" pervades the book, especially when times turn tragic. The constant quest to understand, to overcome the feelings of powerlessness, to control one's life and to know the "what" are rich undercurrents in this book.

Think of books you've read lately. The author selected that title with care and for a reason. One hopes the editors haven't had their way with title, indiscriminately for the sake of sales. I prefer to think not and that the titles are prized nuggets.

I'm thinking about this year's selections for our Book Club. Aside from Ivanhoe, they are all fascinating to me, the titles, that is.

The Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Dideon
What is the What by Dave Eggers
Persuasion by Jane Austen (the last one for 2008)

I'm already wondering who is persuading and who is the "persuade-ee" in Jane Austen's book. I'll find out and be ready to talk about it.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you went to the meeting...I find that when I'm dragging my feet the most I wind up having more fun than I could have imagined.

    Let's see, I just finished "Stealing Horses" - wonderful title for a wonderful gem of a book.

    Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good evening. I like titles, too, and sometimes pick a book because of the title. I've also passed up books because of their title, but then I read them when they come around again because of someone's recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!