Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Can't Read Books

I can't seem to read; books that is.

An avid reader, often with more than one book going at a time, I've found myself in this weird place where I sit down to read and can't get past a page or two before my mind has pulled me into action somewhere else. I'm able to read blog posts on a computer screen but these are short sprints compared to the long haul marathon of a book.

Next week is our book club gathering and I need to read 532 pages of What is the What by Dave Eggers. I've barely started owing to lack of concentration. Showing up to the meeting not having read the book is OK but I'd really prefer not to do that. Maybe I'll just not attend this one meeting but since I'm a relatively new member and trying to make a good impression (sigh), an absence is not what I really want either. Besides, Barbara's house is too good to pass up with its gorgeous view of the Sound and Olympic Mountains from the living room. Plus, there will be food; dinner and wine makes for another pull.

The last book I read was Oxygen by Carol Cassella, a Seattle writer and anesthesiologist with two sets of twins and a very full life (where did she find the time to write a novel?). Her book was a great read, particularly from the perspective of a colleague in medicine. She writes (fiction) about an anesthesiologist who loses a young patient during surgery, the ensuing lawsuit, and the roller coaster emotional ride of that experience. Well done.

I'll try to get into my book club assignment today; perhaps if I can get past the first third or so I'll be hooked. I really want to get to this book club meeting (although I am "on call" that day so all plans could be foiled by work obligations) so will turn off the computer for awhile and try more traditional ways of reading. No more blogs today! (maybe)

1 comment:

  1. I checked out your bookclub book at Amazon. I couldn't get into that either. With all that is going on the world right now, when I dedicate time to reading I need the experience to feed me. I just finished Robert Fulghum's "What On Earth Have I Done?" and I'm almost halfway through Martha Beck's "Steering by Starlight." (I would cheat and still go to the bookclub meeting for the food and conversation.)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!