Saturday, September 27, 2008

Florence On My Mind

D and I took the leap, booked our tickets to Florence, and have narrowed down the choice of hotel to two top choices. The trip is going to happen! Pushing enter as the final step to on-line reservations was a great feeling. We didn't try to analyze or over-think the trip; just checked out the options, picked some dates and said "Go".

I'm really excited about this adventure; my second trip to Italy. The first was 38 years ago (OMG but that's a long time ago). In July 1970, I traveled through Europe with Mom and Dad on a whirlwind blast through Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Belgium and the Netherlands. We didn't stay in any one place longer than a few days; constantly on the move by train with our Eu rail passes. The only city we visited in Italy was Florence. I sure wish I could find those old slides of our trip and the name of the pensione where we stayed. The bed and breakfast was very close to the Basilica de Santa Maria del Fiore as shown here. I remember motorcycle noise all night long but that didn't detract from the magnificence of our experience. I'm thrilled to be returning. As a teenager, I never imagined I'd return decades later, parent to a daughter studying abroad in Florence for the year.

We plan to stay put in Florence for the ten days we're in Italy except for the possibility of some day trips to the wine country or Pisa. We want to explore Florence at a more leisurely pace and spend time with Laura when she's not in class. The weather in early November might not be the greatest but certainly won't be any worse than what we'd have in Seattle. I'm prepared. The food will taste just as wonderful even with overcast or rainy, chilly skies. Michelangelo's David and the Uffizi Gallery will be just as marvelous. There will be fewer tourists, shorter lines for the museums, and other perks unique to the season.

There's much to read in preparation for the trip (and for fun). I've always been tempted by Irving Stone's The Agony and the Ecstasy and Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King. Sounds like this is the perfect opportunity. Going to read....more later!

5 comments:

  1. kitty: our honeynoon itinerary from 2000, Villa Vignamaggio is in Tuscany 30 min outside of Florence and is where Much Ado About Nothing was filmed - gorgeous.

    9/19 - 9/21 Palazzo Dei Dogi Hotel
    Madonna Dell'Orto 3500
    Venice, Italy
    Address:
    Fondamenta Madona Dell'orto 3500
    Venice 30121
    Telephone: (041) 220-8111
    Fax: (041) 722278

    9/22 - 9/24 Villa Vignamaggio
    Via Petriolo, 5 - 50022
    Greve in Chianti (FI), Italia
    Tel: +39 055 854661
    Fax: +39 055 8544468
    agriturismo@vignamaggio.com

    9/25 - 9/26 Hotel Il Guelfo Bianco
    29 Via Camilla Cavour
    Florence, Italia
    Tel. +39055288330
    Fax +39055295203
    info@ilguelfobianco.it

    9/27 - 9/28 Hotel Locarno
    00186 Roma - Via della Penna, 22
    Tel: ++39-063610841/2/3 -
    063610860 - 063201641 - 063204898 -063216030
    Fax: ++39-063215249
    locarno@italyhotel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful news! I'm delighted for you and Laura, who by November will know enough about Florence to show you around. The people I know who have gone to Italy only had good things to say. The anticipation and preparation will be fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Kate! I am so happy that you guys are doing this...exchange rate be damned. Life is too short and Italy is AMAZING and your daughter will be over the moon to share her adventure with you. YEAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am stoked to see you guys! I have missed you so much! We will have a blast. I am going to get a Uffici pass for only 40 euro which allows me to go to all the museums until december. sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!