Sunday, September 28, 2008

Conscience Assuaged

Yesterday when I visited Mom and Dad they seemed so bored and listless. We had little to talk about; I left feeling sad (and guilty) that I couldn't just do something, anything to brighten their day. Apparently just being there helps (or so says Mom) but I never quite feel like it's enough.

Today I offered to take them out for coffee and a drive around the neighborhood. Mom was ready to go but Dad declined. "He sleeps all the time.", Mom says. I think he's extremely bored; things he used to enjoy doing he can no longer manage. Fun to my Dad was puttering in the yard and getting in the car to do errands that involved several stops and a chance to socialize with clerks in the grocery and drug stores. Never a player of games and not much of a TV addict, he's held back by his physical limitations so much that sleeping has become the distraction of choice. I feel sorry for him but he's never one to complain much. He's stoic just like his Dad, my grandfather Lewell.

Mom and I left Dad to sit (and rest) while we visited Tully's for a jolt of caffeine and pumpkin nut bread followed by a drive around Magnolia. The bright sunshine, blue sky and the dusty foliage just beginning to show some color and other trees in the full swing of fall color entertained our eyes as we drove about. Mt. Rainier was a pulsating beauty from the small park on Magnolia Boulevard. I'm sure Seattle hit the high 60's if not 70 degrees today. Gorgeous.

Dad was where we left him when we returned; sitting in his chair watching TV. He looked good and allowed that his usual afternoon chocolate drink and can of beer kept him company while we were out. When Rachel said she was fixing dinner of "bagels with ham and cream cheese" I could tell neither Mom nor Dad were too excited. The second I suggested going out to get them a Subway sandwich Dad's eyes lit up. BINGO......this sub became the something I could get that might bring a bit of pleasure into his day.

Thirty minutes later I was back with the "Five Dollar Foot Long" cut in half with all the fixings just in time for "dinner at five". It's the little things that seem to go a long way. Food that hits the spot is always a good bet. Although I know that I'm not responsible for their mood(s) I feel compelled to try to improve the somber tone that marks so many of their days. It's hard to be old, frail, and bored.

Note to self: cultivate interests that don't require a strong, fit body because if/when that gives out, you've got to have something else that you can call a passion.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, but if you maintain a strong fit body might it stay with you longer? That's my hope.

    I know what you mean though. Bert's mom was SUPER active, tennis, biking around town. And when her knee wore out she was plunged into depression.

    Until she got her replacement. Now she's her old self again.

    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad for your parents that you keep coming up with things to do that sound just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you underestimate your daily trips to visit bama and momo. Even though they may not have much to say, just being there and keeping them company speaks volumes. I know from experience even at a young age that hanging out with my friends and just "chilling" is far better than being cooped up alone for days on end. I know they appreciate your visits very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder about life's passions whether active or passive, our bodies may give out. Knees go which make walking harder and eyes go which make reading harder. I think that having PASSION is what is important. :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!