Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Love Skype

There's nothing quite like a leisurely conversation with someone 5000 miles away to ease the sting of being separated by 9 time zones. Skype will do that for you. I'm amazed and grateful for this easy technology and also love that it's FREE. Although Miss L has a cell phone with her, the calls she makes from the phone are always rushed because the clock is ticking; the cell phone ain't cheap but we wanted her to have something with her for emergencies. She's had to rely on the cell for routine calls for the last few weeks because she didn't have reliable Internet connection. Now that she does, it's Skype from now on! Yeah!

She and I had a 30 minute call yesterday; 11:30 AM in Seattle, 8:30 PM in Firenze. It was like she was next door, the connection was that good. Amazing. Since there's no fee for the connection, we were able to really catch up on things, much like a chat with laughs thrown in (when I asked her to quit spending all her money on drinks). There's nothing quite like hearing a familiar voice across the miles to brighten the day. Even though I generally run from the telephone, there's obviously a time and a place for everything. Let's keep "skyp-ing"!

4 comments:

  1. I love skype too. Mom and I have had it on in the background and kep doing our other computer work. It was like she was just in the other room.

    There is also something about seeing the other person. Elizabth and I love to skype and always end up talking longer than we think we will. It is also fun to do tours of the surround locale. I showed mom the gardens out front via skype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first saw Skype in action during Oprah's webcasts with Eckhart Tolle. I was impressed. I don't know friends or family who use it, but I'd give it a try if one of my children moved far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should consider both getting video cams so we can look at eachother when we talk! Sounds silly, but my friends swear by it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Video cameras make the experience that much better!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!