Saturday, September 13, 2008

Take a Hike, Ike

D and I were glued to the TV last night watching the wrath of Hurricane Ike making landfall along the Galveston coast and then pushing on into Houston. Earlier in the evening I spoke with MM who was preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Turns out that my Houston family weathered the storm last night but the long night was rough and the work of assessing damage is just beginning. No one has power. It's hot and muggy. The water supply may be contaminated and the advice is to boil it but, how? Downed trees and limbs are everywhere.

Wow. This feels like Hurricane Alicia revisited, maybe worse. Only time will tell. For now, I'm thankful that my family is safe although the messy work of cleaning out lies ahead. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your family is okay. Mine used to live in tornado alley. Now they've moved, everyone worries about the big earthquake that's supposed to hit out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm out of Houston for one year but have my son and his wife there, along with many friends. I was able to watch Houston channel 2 TV all day online, and when I finally got my son on the phone, I was able to tell them a lot of info they didn't have due to power outages. The site is click2houston.com, then click on "Live stream video"

    Love the blog site, and knowing what you and yours are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, is MM the same MM I know? that would be too coincidental...MM Hansen?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!