Friday, September 5, 2008

Just the Facts

D and I just arrived home after a quick trip to Portland. We drove down yesterday with Laura, spent the night at a hotel, and saw her off at the airport earlier today on her flight to Frankfurt.

These are the facts.

How we'd each write or talk about this experience, above and beyond the facts, would be interesting indeed. We all have our own take on those last hours spent in each others company. Leave taking is tough business sometimes.

The only photograph I have from these hours that's neutral and somewhat soothing is this one taken of the carpeted flooring adjacent to the Lufthansa passenger check in desk. The other pictures are either too dark, too weird, too posed, or downright scary. This carpet, I'd say, is uhmmm, just part of the facts.

Arrivederci, Laura!
I miss you already but know that you're off on a grand adventure!

4 comments:

  1. Good-byes are very hard for me. I can only imagine how hard this one is. Even when you know it is not forever. She is still your baby.

    She IS off to an amazing adventure. One she couldn't have had without you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered yesterday if it was the day for Laura to start her adventure. It's good to hear she got off okay and you made it home okay. I think the photo of the carpet is the perfect illustration of the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Airport carpet seems to be somewhat important as we spend time sitting in airports. I love the carpet at the Phoenix airport where I used to stop on my way home from college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura is off on a grand adventure this year and so, perhaps are you. I can hardly wait to see how each of you experiences this time of growth. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!