Friday, December 17, 2010

Lesson Learned

Prompt for Dec. 17:   Lesson learned. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward? ( author: Tara Austin Weaver)

I learned that I could lose a parent and not disintegrate, that I had the strength to open my arms to the grief, feel it fully, accept the pain, and steadily move forward. I never thought this would be possible, even a few years ago. My Mother's death was something I tried not to think about even though its inevitability and proximity grew closer. I was terrified.

I learned that grieving is a process and that I would (will)  make my way through, even now as I remain on that path. This, I can do.

Now, then....what seems the impossible is living through the loss of a child. I have friends and acquaintances who have done so. They have not had a choice. But me? I pray daily that I won't experience the unnatural order of death. Our children are not meant to predecease us.This, I fear, I could not do.

2 comments:

  1. It really is amazing what we can withstand when we have to. You've shown such strength, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These prompts are emotionally draining! Glad to hear you're climbing onto the triathlon train again.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!