Friday, December 10, 2010

Wisest Choice

Prompt for Dec. 10:  Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out? (by Susannah Conway)


I hope it was the wisest choice.
I hope I lived up to the trust she bestowed on me to make hard, end-of-life decisions on her behalf.
Most days I feel that I did the right thing by her.

No one who sat around the table at the hospital discussing plans for her discharge knew that sending her out on hospice services meant she would die within a week. Except for me. I knew. 

And still, I felt it was the best choice.

Sometimes I wonder, second guess, and get sad about the choice I made. But, it isn't long before I know from the deepest place of knowing that the choice was right. Wise. And, the choice she would have made if she could.

1 comment:

  1. "I knew." That is the knowing that comes from a place we can't explain and with the sureness that it's right. You knew.

    My daughter and I talk about this, she as my daughter and a doctor and I as her mother. If we keep talking about it, maybe it will not come to pass. If the time does come, she too will know.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!