Monday, July 14, 2008

Natural Bridge

The back side of Colorado Point is wildly mysterious and beautiful. This expanse of burnt orange, volcanic rock that abuts the raw energy of ocean is Aruba to me. I've written before in my blog that I want my ashes scattered in this most sacred place. I'm profoundly respectful of the power of these undulating waves as they batter the rocky coast, day and night. The ocean never sleeps, keeper of endless moving energy. The seas in this area are typically rough, encouraged by heavy winds which hurl salt spray and white foam high into the air as the waves impact the rock face of the point. This slowly evolving landscape does not change much from decade to decade in the mind's eye but I'm sure there are not so subtle, measurable effects of wind and salt spray over time. We former Lago-ites all know what happened to Aruba's other natural bridge several years ago.

This "natural bridge" on Colorado Point was always a tempting place to view up close and more than once I wondered what it would be like to walk across the bridge to the other side. As a young girl growing up in Aruba I was always told "never, ever walk out on the natural bridge" for fear a "big wave" might appear without warning and sweep me (us) away. The slender appearing bridge in this photograph is actually quite wide and sturdy. On most days days the waves allow for safe traverse to the larger rock shown in the upper left. Many in my extended family have done just this; walked across the bridge and posed for pictures on the other side. As for me, I'd have to say...."been there (many times) but have never done that". Wary of the intrinsic risks, albeit small, I've been programmed to never cross that bridge, at least not in this lifetime.

Here are some photos of the natural bridge taken during a stormy weather. Angry, ominous, and totally out of control, the sea looks as though it wants to swallow the bridge. We must be respectful of the power of water and wind to make waves. Keep ahead of them, I say. Better yet, stay away when they look like this.



I haven't been back to Colorado Point since my last trip "home" in 2001. I miss this place and long to stand on the cliff looking out into the deep blue again. I stand in awe every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!