Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tampons and Incontinence Pads

It struck me yesterday as I made a trip to the drugstore to purchase an emergency supply of incontinence pads for Mom that the universe coughs up all sorts of examples of just how wedged I am between my 20 year old daughter and 90 year old mother. Not only am I buying products for the woes of the elderly but in the last days I found myself delivering an emergency supply of tampons to my youngest who found herself at work, in need and unprepared.

Mind you, I am at the privileged age (there's got to be something good about being 53) when I need neither tampons nor incontinence pads. I intend to celebrate that fact by vowing (from this day forward) that I will no longer pander to the needs of those at the extremes of age when it comes to these products. My dearest daughter; if you have a need that is urgent, invent a solution. I've been there and done that (many, many times). My dearest mother, acknowledging that you can no longer gather what you need yourself, I willingly turn over this role to the adult family home. When my time comes, I trust that my needs will be met.

I care not for these particular products at this glorious phase of my life; let me celebrate this window of time when freedoms (down there) abound!

Yeah for being 53!

3 comments:

  1. Here here! I love both Laura and Bama...but if you weren't around to retrieve the necessary items.... what would they then do? I'm sure each would find a solution. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and I laughed out loud. These days are good days for us. We have our marbles and our health and down there is simply there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait until I get to that "privileged age"!

    Taking care of our own personal needs is a crucial lesson that we all need to learn. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!