Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Last Thoughts on BlogHer

Ok, ok. Enough already. Enough with the posts about the BlogHer Conference which is long since over. I'll entice you with this photo to keep you interested.....

Just when I think I'm finished writing my disjointed thoughts, I feel like there are a few more things I haven't mentioned and need to say. Such is the scattered state of my overloaded blogging mind. In the last week since the conference, I've posted on my blog daily, have started a new blog named Remembering, read dozens of new blogs, and been inspired to do more although just what remains formless and fleeting. I also worked 7 of the last 8 days (at my paying job) and celebrated with Denny his new found freedom from finishing the Bar Exam, tried my best to be a less meddlesome mother (very hard), and a loving daughter to my parents (getting easier with the AFH). My mood has been upbeat which is "a good" and perhaps that comes from more connection with people, virtual and real, and feeling that the balance in my life tips in favor of being blessed. It's all in the perception.

But I digress.

BlogHer '08: some parting words and photos just have to be posted.

I met wonderful women but time was so rushed that connections were limited. I do have their blog sites logged into my Google Reader, however.

I loved having my sister on the journey and it was cool that we could go our separate ways but reconnect to debrief on the day.

I enjoyed some great food and great drinks.

The icons in the blogging world are really just regular people (although did I have the courage to seek them out and shake their hands?).

Although I long to become famous (do I really?), I doubt this will ever happen.

I still want to write that memoir and blogging is quite possibly the practice I need to get going.

The best parts of the conference aside from the above were the Keynotes on Friday and Saturday afternoons (the readings from 22 unique and wonderful blogs) and the panel discussion with those most revered and famous bloggers, Dooce (Heather Armstrong) and Greek Tragedy (Stephanie Klein) shown in this photo. Heather's purple tights were perfect.

After that came the bash at Macy's which was the most unique cocktail party I've ever attended. Imagine 1000 plus (mostly women) on four floors of Macy's following a progressive romp of little nibbles and lots of alcohol at each destination. First stop: Handbags, Second stop: Designer Shoes, Third stop: Lingerie, and Fourth Stop: Furniture (we needed a place to plop by then). Wine glasses, half full inches away from killer shoes that cost a fortune?

By the time I made it to Lingerie, pumped up on bite size lavender macaroons and Godiva liqueur, I toyed with the idea that those sexy thongs might just look "ok" on me. I shared this with a lady nearby and she said, "Move away from the table", shaking her head. Jeez! I know she was joking (she was a mid-lifer too) but I still think "butt floss" underwear has its place in the universe, even perhaps in mine.

I think Macy's was counting on we bloggers busting out the credit cards for big bucks purchases but I don't think many of us did. It was too much fun to just eat, drink, and feel the collective mass of bloggers, each creating her own story about this wildly, weird event. KY jelly and votive candles next to delectable pink melt-in-your-mouth cream filled cookies? I say, "why not?"

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've really been inspired and are onto some amazing things. Love the Memoir idea.

    Every woman should own a thong. Even if you find it wildly uncomfortable, which they can be.

    I missed the Macy's party, so it is fun to read about it. It really was a great conference. I did my "very last" blogher post yesterday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Macy's does events like that to "stay current". As a former special event manager for that very store, I know that much of what they do is imaged-based. They want to be seen as a place where edgy, hip women (shoppers or not) go and hang out. Credit cards out or not - the event was a big success in that you all were there.


    2. I am a 40-year-old woman and I wear thongs every day of my life. I HATE VPLs (visible panty lines) and I find them to be more comfortable than larger granny pants. Specifically these: www.hankypanky.com. Try them - you will not go back.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!