Friday, July 25, 2008

Thanks, Mom!!!

I love my new T shirt from CafePress, a freebie I picked up at the Blogher Conference last week. It says, "Be nice to me or I'll blog about you" Oh, yaaaahaaah. Today I'm writing (indirectly) about my dearest daughter......

I stopped by Mom and Dad's to say "hi" after work this afternoon. Mom is almost 91, usually pretty out of it, but today she was on her game. That's a bit unusual so I'm determined to document just how cool she was (and how totally she stood in my court). Go Mom! Be my ally!

Me: "I'm tired; didn't get much sleep last night 'cause I was awake until 2 AM worrying about Laura." (my 20 year old who is running the streets being what I guess is a healthy, active young adult but it still drives me nuts)

Mom: " Oh, dear; what was she doing?"

Me: "Out dancing."

Mom: "Oh, who was she with?"

Me: "Mom, ya know? I'm not allowed to ask anymore. I don't have any idea."

Mom: What do you mean you're not allowed to ask anymore?"

Me: "Well, according to her counselor (aka therapist....totally my suggestion that we/she go there to work out some of our mother-daughter angst), she's 20 years old now and I don't have any right to ask her anything."

Mom: Shaking her head....." Well, that's bullshit."

...Pause, pause pause....me, blown away....

Me: "Thank you, Mom!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Thinking: Mom, you get it! You totally get it! You're on my side when everyone else just rolls their eyes and thinks I'm the mother from hell.

Mom: "Not when she is under your aegis; you have a right to know."

It totally blew me away to hear my Mom say the word "bullshit". I haven't heard that one out of her mouth for years. She saved it up for the perfect time. Love it, absolutely love it. And aegis? That rocks too. Sometimes, no matter what, this woman is on her game and today was that day.

1 comment:

  1. She sounds really cool,this mother of yours. How perfect that she was so with it today when you needed her most. And she had a great comeback!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!