Thursday, July 3, 2008

Triathlon Decision

I've known in my heart for at least a month; I'm not going to participate in this year's Danskin Triathlon. Despite checking the Danskin web site daily back in February seeking the narrow window of hours when registration is even possible and despite logging in some hours of preparatory training, it's a "NO GO". The last weeks have seen no visits to the pool, no biking and barely a walk or two in Discovery Park. Although the time has been mine with daylight extending well until 9 PM, my energy won't support any level of exercise and my heart hasn't been in the game. My right knee could become the official excuse but that's not being honest. I'm very disappointed that the knee is not "fixed" but it is not what prevents me from participating in the triathlon. Many women do a run/walk on the last leg of the journey. Biking and swimming with this knee of mine is fine. So, it's not the knee, although that might be a convenient way out.

I'm sad about this decision; truly sad. The lift that successful completion of the Triathlon offered me last year was so energizing emotionally that I never considered not doing the event again this year. Of course, I thought. Duh! Nothing could keep me from a second go round at this amazing late summer event. I even scheduled my knee surgery such that recovery would allow for adequate time on trails and in the water as I trained. Unfortunately, this just hasn't worked out and I must let it go this year. I have to forgive myself for not being able to take on all the work that preparing for the event entails. If I do honor myself with "me time", it will take the form of sleep, reading, meditating, slow walks, yoga, prayer, and writing.

Maybe in 2009.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sad about this. I wish I had words of wisdom, but I don't. Any possibility of doing what you can until then and doing it anyway? Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    Do what you need to do. I support your decision and know it is a truly painful one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have registered three times for the Danskin and have never done it. Life is too full to get down about this. I registered again this year and again cannot add the training onto my already VERY busy life. Let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like a tonic for living well, training and participating in the Tri is what I miss. I don't get over easily what I know is good medicine for my soul. The rest of my life that wouldn't make way for honoring my own dreams is what burns.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!