Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Doing the x365

Last night I spent hours writing 'snippet' posts for my other blog, Remembering. I'm not sure if this is legit (especially for a writing exercise like x365) but I do write ahead (by now you should know I'm the gal who likes to be "ahead of the wave"). I'm grateful that the blog host site has this cool feature down pat. I'm able to write a post and set the exact date and time when the snippet goes "live". Very convenient.

I'm already halfway into August with posts in a queue ready to populate Remembering when the time is right. Such is my passion for this blog. That I stumbled upon this challenge while reading Schmutzie's blog was meant to be. I'm inspired that she is already up to 312/365. It can be done! This focused attention on remembering people from 53 years of living is a critical exercise for me right now. I'm already beginning to recognize some interesting things about the person that I am and how people, even those that moved through my life years ago or with brevity, had an impact. I ask, how much of who we are is the composite of who we've known? Ponder this.

When I began this post my title was: "Remembering Nannies". I was going to write about how the micro-post I finished last night on Lola, our first and only nanny when we lived in Houston with infants and toddlers (who are now twenty-somethings) made me want to dredge up the years of nanny angst in Seattle. Over seven years during the early and mid 1990's, until D left his career in Medicine to stay home and care for kids, house, and his elderly Mother, we had something like eight or nine different nannies (one lasted 2 days). But, I've decided to mull this one over and post separately about the "Nanny Dance" and more about Lola who was the revered and idolized first nanny, an irreplaceable angel.

I'm hoping that the x365 exercise keeps coughing up these wonderful opportunities to write about things that have already happened. I acknowledge that we are not our past. But, the past is embedded and what we do with it matters. Hugely.

1 comment:

  1. Some of my favourite reading comes from x365 posts. I really need to stop being so slack and start doing it myself.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!